Were you a 80s and 90s kid? Do you remember Hamburger Helper, it was a classic in my home growing up. And it was one of my favorites. Since then I have learned a ton about food, nutrition and being healthy. Experimenting with old classics and turning them into a healthy meal has become so fun for me and I love to share what I find. So this is my newest update on an old Classic Modern Day Healthy Helper. I just know you will enjoy it as much as I do!
You can make the recipe as it is or mix it up to fit your diet. For example Paleo don’t use cheese. For vegan use tofu instead of ground turkey. It is here for you to enjoy. I included a video tutorial too, Check it out!
What you Need
• 1lb Ground Turkey (Local Pasture Raised)
• 1 box of Quinoa Pasta (I use Ancient Grains)
• 2 Heads of Broccoli
• ½ an Onion (white, yellow, or red)
• 1 cup of cheese grated (optional)
Sauce and Seasonings
• Dijon Mustard
• My Basic Meat Seasoning (Recipe here)
Lets Get Started
1. Take out a Large pot, fill ½ way with water and bring to a boil.
2. While waiting for water to boil rise and cut up broccoli and ½ onion. Set to the side
3. Begin to cook your ground turkey. Some olive oil in the bottom of your pan, cook on medium or medium-high depending on your stove top.
4. Once your ground turkey is started. Place broccoli in a separate pot with some water and steam. (Broccoli will cook 5-10 minute depending on the texture you prefer.)
5. By now your water should be boiling so add your box of Quinoa Pasta and cook for 6-9 minutes. Seriously do not overcook.
6. When ground Turkey is done drain and set to the side. Place chopped Onions in your pan with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Allow them to Sautee for about 5 minutes. Make your Sauce while waiting ( Sauce Instructions Below)
7. Pasta is about done now so strain that and your broccoli too. Set both to the side.
8. Check on your onions and add ground turkey to them. Pour Sauce on top and mix together. Let Simmer for about 5 minutes.
9. While meat and onions simmer in the sauce you can grate your cheese if you choose to add it.
10. After 5 minutes add broccoli to meat and onions, mix together.
11. Grab a large bowl and begin to layer noodle, then cheese, then meat/onion/broccoli mix. Do this is about 3 layers then mix together. The layering allows for easier mixing.
How to make Sauce
Combine 3 TBSP Dijon Mustard, 2 TBSP Honey, 2 TSP Basic Meat Seasoning (Recipe Found Here). Mix together.
Viola! You are ready to eat your Modern Day Healthy Helper!
We love this one in our home, I hope you love it too! Share your thought below or on Facebook!
PS. Basic Meat Seasoning recipe can be found Here